air bag question
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Hatch
beginner

Posts per day: 0.02

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: air bag question Reply with quote
ok so i was wondering about airbag block off plates, if you disconnect the pasenger air bag can you turn off the SRS light or are you stuck with it,

just curious, cause ive been seeing alot more people doing this mod on there cars.
accordselux
newb

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
This isnt an answer to the question, but I wouldnt do it because it's one of the very few safety features on the car, and in some states (I dont know how many) you can be sued or charged with something if your passenger is injured because you removed their safety equipment. Unless it's a track car it's not worth it...
Jarrod
amateur

Posts per day: 0.05

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
accordselux wrote:
This isnt an answer to the question, but I wouldnt do it because it's one of the very few safety features on the car, and in some states (I dont know how many) you can be sued or charged with something if your passenger is injured because you removed their safety equipment. Unless it's a track car it's not worth it...
From what I heard, and know. It's not illegal to remove the airbag; as long as the next owner is aware of this.

Or something like that. Check your local and state laws about this.

My SRS light didn't come on in my old car when I removed the airbag, but I don't think the bulb worked. Laughing
moto21dx
pro

Posts per day: 0.26

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
jsut keep the bag and all if you plan to sell it. Or just swap out a cx dash. They dont even come with passenger airbags. So its not illegal.
Illegal
pro

Posts per day: 0.24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh my god. It is illegal to remove airbags if it comes with them from the factory. Second there is a way to reset the light, or you can remove the bulb like I did.

KIWI crossing...
NEW ZEALAND
moto21dx
pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok, but really, how the hell would someone really know.. I mean if they wanted to yeah they can, but who checks for airbags???
94hatchling
newb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
moto21dx wrote:
jsut keep the bag and all if you plan to sell it. Or just swap out a cx dash. They dont even come with passenger airbags. So its not illegal.

ummm.... i have a cx, and i have a passenger airbag...
R hatch
amateur

Posts per day: 0.11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
on the ek's u just have to unplug the yellow plug behind the gauge cluster/instrument panel. voila! no more SRS light...
moto21dx
pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
depends on the year cx i think. or options also. But a base model cx has no airbags as far as I know.
Illegal
pro

Posts per day: 0.24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
moto21dx wrote:
ok, but really, how the hell would someone really know.. I mean if they wanted to yeah they can, but who checks for airbags???

Cops give me **** for it when I get pulled over (momo steering wheel) and I cant get inspected with them gone.

KIWI crossing...
NEW ZEALAND
accordselux
newb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
moto21dx wrote:

If I got into a car and saw some carbon fiber where my airbag was, i'd know how much the driver cares about my safety in exchange for a few pounds weight savings...

Plus it was safety equipment that came from the factory, it cannot be removed and have the vehicle remain street legal...
Jarrod
amateur

Posts per day: 0.05

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Illegal wrote:
moto21dx wrote:

Cops give me **** for it when I get pulled over (momo steering wheel) and I cant get inspected with them gone.
I'm going by what I was told/heard. I knew cops would harrass you and what not.

92-93 Cars didn't have passenger airbags.
Moto21dx wrote:
Correction, 92-93 Cars didn't have passenger airbags.

accordselux wrote:
If I got into a car and saw some carbon fiber where my airbag was, i'd know how much the driver cares about my safety in exchange for a few pounds weight savings...
Have you ever held a airbag? They are pretty heavy. I don't like airbags, and I would like to remove mine. I will one day, but not now.
accordselux
newb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've got an airbag in a dashboard sitting in my basement, plus i've got a steering wheel/column sitting down there as well...

Theyre not that heavy...I'd rather get a carbon fiber hood/lexan rear windows/racing seats or lower the unsprung weight before I went to the airbags...but it's just my opinion.
EG_GSR_HB
amateur

Posts per day: 0.09

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
IMO safety ****. **** it. 5point harness. cage. good to go. My buddy hit a drainage ditch that was not even 2 ft deep at 20 mph when leaving a party at our friends shop one night about 20 mins from town and both his air bags blew out and shattered his window on his 94 prelude si and fucked his arm up cuz his hand was at 12 on the wheel. He would have been fine and no front window damage if it wasnt for airbags.
RED HATCH CULT member #16
Matt: 92 hatch VX
DJ NeX
amateur

Posts per day: 0.04

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
it is legal to remove an airbag if it has been blown.
Now how it becomes blown is another story.

to put rumors aside.

I don't think its a good idea to go with a 5 pt. harness and roll cage. Unless you like wearing a helmet everytime that you drive. Your head will slam into a bar and crush your skull.

Most cages are attached to the car via plates welded on to the floor. In a roll over the cage just goes through the floor. I know, I had a friend die because of that. The cage literally crushed him inside the car.

on a 5 pt. harness you need to replace it at least once every 2 years because believe it or not, they do stretch. You also have to have the harness on VERY tight for it to do its job correctly if an accident were to happen.

Another thing to mention is that a cage and 5 pt. harness only do you good if you have a proper racing seat that is properly mounted TO THE CAGE and not just a fake racing seat on civic rails bolted to the floor.

I'm sorry to burst anyone's bubbles, but its better to stay with what Mr. Honda designed to save your life than perform modifications yourself.

Racing saftey equipment works together as a system, and should never be taken lightly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    e-hatch.com Forum Index // Interior/Exterior All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: